Sunday 23 May 2010

Where's my dinner?

We feeds the birds from a bird feeder in our garden, just outside the kitchen window. We get Sparrows, Chaffinches, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Starlings, Blackbirds and occasionally Woodpeckers. Now we have for some time wondered at the way that when stocks run low we get Sparrows and Blue Tits on the window sill, tapping at the window. We are not sure whether they are just finding amusement at their own reflection or actually trying to get our attention – having made some sort of connection between the food appearing in the feeder and the people that live in the house.

Well, today i was sat here writing a different blog article and there is a knocking at the window and this is what I saw.

ccm3uuk4

 image

Yep, just to make sure, here is a close-up. The Woodpecker wants his dinner!!!

 

Apologies for poor exposure/composition but this guy is so timid and I had to get the camera and take the picture without disturbing him. This was all over in maybe 5-10 seconds. He'd gone almost by the time my camera was away from my face.

 

Today I feel lucky to be here, now. :)

1 comment:

Adam said...

Excellent spot! Lucky to even get those photos considering how timid they are.

I used to live in the country and regularly had squirrels on my bird feeders (resisted the urge to say 'on my nuts') so I got a Squirrel-prrof bird feeder. Oh how they laughed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx9B5Q83J70

Now living in central Cambridge and have no garden, yet have had Blackcap, Sedge Warbler and this Sparrowhawk in the back yard:
http://cambridge365.wordpress.com/2008/09/21/eden-street-sparrow-hawk/

AddThis

Bookmark and Share
 
Google Analytics Alternative